I have an 8ohm crossover I wish to use with a 16ohm compression driver.
Am I going to have a problem or is there a simple solution?
Thanks...
I have an 8ohm crossover I wish to use with a 16ohm compression driver.
Am I going to have a problem or is there a simple solution?
Thanks...
Probably, since it's going to lower both the XO point and slope order if other than a 1st order hi-pass cap, so put a 16 ohm *non inductive* resistor across the driver terminals. Not an ideal solution since it wastes amp power, but cheaper/easier than either swapping out the diaphragm or XO components. In theory you only need a 1.0 W rating for a 30 W driver, but it never hurts to have a bit more thermal capacity, so any higher value in stock is preferred.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
I apologize if I'm asking a stupid question, but I really appreciate the information since this is what I am confronted with. I have an 8 ohm 416 woofer, an 8 ohm crossover, and a 16 ohm 399 compression driver. I understand your solution will work, but is this really the best solution? I believe I can swap the 16 ohm compression drivers for 8 ohm. I guess what I am asking is is it better to go for 16 ohm woofers and crossovers. I know the cheep and easy way as you mentioned is to use the 16 ohm resistor. I don't necessarily want cheep and easy. I want what will sound and perform the best. Is 16 ohm better than 8 ohm? I'm just trying to understand.
Thanks...
I already said it wasn't an ideal solution, but you asked for a simple one........
Yes, you can swap out diaphragms.
If you have an amp with 16 ohm taps, then there's less potential current draw, ergo less potential thermal power compression/longer component life, smaller wire requirements, etc..
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

If you search here this has been discussed at length, it's worth it to read those discussions.
The 16 ohm driver and resistor is actually flatter in it's impedance curve than an 8 ohm driver.
you are jumping to the conclusion cheap is automatically bad, not necessarily true.
16 ohm was pretty much the standard when tube amps dominated...even higher impedances have been used. Tube amps are very high impedance and need transformers to "step down" to the lower impedance of speakers.
Direct coupled solid state amps now dominate, hence lower impedance 8 ohms.
I'm intentionally leaving out car stereo where 4 ohm is closer to the norm, with even 1 ohm speakers available.
To sum up..is 16 ohm better? For what? Tube amps, quite likely better, SS amps, maybe yes or no.
The entire system must be considered, not one part.
BTW, regarding efficiency loss by resistor matching...don't you turn the L-pad down anyway? So most cases no biggie...
So what you really need to do is decide what the entire system is going to be...and then integrate the parts into a SYSTEM rather than collection of parts.
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
Agree with the above. In fact I LIKE the parallel 16 ohm resistor solution. It might actually be better.
Great! This is the info I was looking for. Since I am using an MX 110 and an MC 240 Both tubed I think I'll consider using 16 ohm components in my next speaker project.
Thanks again...

Exactly, Marv I think you were asking what sounds better 8 ohm or 16 ohm difference is slight not enough to worry about. All depends on your amp as long as you keep the impedance the same from amp to speakers you'll be fine.Most SS is 8 ohm Tubes 16 and up.OG beat me to it but that is not unusual.![]()
The cite link below has crossover calculators which provide values of capacitors and inductors for given inputs including the ohm ratings of HF and LF drivers.
I suppose you could also consider modifications to your existing crossovers (or build new units) based on inputs of 8 Ohm and 16 Ohm measurements for your specific HF and LF drivers.
I'm currently experimenting with a couple of crossover designs based on these calculators but I have limited experience with this and I can't offer much help. Electronic components can be purchased from many sources on the Net including PartsExpress.com.
Crossover Design Chart and Inductance vs. Frequency Calculator(Low-pass)
Bookmarks